Several months ago Words And Women put out a call for volunteers to organize an event in Cambridge to celebrate the launch of their anthology Words And Women: One. Being a strong supporter of the W&W principles of giving women writers a voice, and always on the lookout for opportunities to meet other writers, I put my name forward. Lynne Bryan put me in touch with Leigh Chambers, another Cambridge W&W volunteer, and together we set the wheels in motion.
- Include some live music; it makes the event
- Choose your venue carefully, avoiding harsh lights and echoing spaces
- Create an intimate atmosphere with candles and low lighting
- Make sure your readers know how to prepare for reading aloud
- Make sure the venue has a PA system or take your own – don’t rely on readers having loud enough voices
- Keep readings short, five minutes per reader – any longer and you risk losing the audience
- Ask readers to provide a biog in advance and introduce each one personally